Sophie Hares is a freelance journalist and editor based in Mexico, with 20 years’ experience at international news agencies and newspapers, including Reuters.
Latest Posts by Sophie Hares
- This article from the Thomson Reuters Foundation first appeared on zilient.org, an online platform building a global network of people interested in resilience. 100RC engages in content partnerships with…
- Bolstering flood defences and moving families away from risky areas are high on the agenda for Argentina's Santa Fe as the river port city looks to grow its economy and improve its infrastructure under a new urban plan.
- Reducing inequality, securing water supplies and strengthening disaster prevention are crucial to bolster Chile's quake-prone capital against climate change and other hazards, Santiago's authorities said.
- Once the heart of the vast Aztec empire, Mexico's pulsing capital is now a megacity that dominates the country's economy, politics and culture, but it must take drastic steps to tackle its dwindling water supply and crippling transport problems, said the official charged with making the city resilient.
- In a city menaced by the threat of volcanic eruptions, earthquakes and floods, protecting thousands of families living in Quito's low-income neighbourhoods from disasters is an urgent task.